Siliphos (Silybin Phytosome)
Siliphos (Silybin Phytosome) #90
Accurate retail: $11.86
Thorne.com retail: $13.95
Take 1 capsule two to three times daily or as recommended by your physician.
One Capsule Contains:
Silybin Phytosome* (Silybum Marianum extract (fruit) / Phosphatidylcholine complex) 180 mg.
Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Leucine, Silicon Dioxide.
*This product uses Indena S.p.A.’s silybin phytosome (Siliphos®). Siliphos is a registered trademark of Indena S.p.A.
Contains ingredient derived from soy (phytosome).
Combines a flavonoid from milk thistle (silybin) with phosphatidylcholine to form a well-absorbed complex (a phytosome)*
Provides liver support*
Helps maintain normal glutathione levels – an important antioxidant for detoxification*
Phytosome preparation provides more silybin to the liver*
Dual liver-protective benefits from milk thistle extract and phosphatidylcholine*
A well-researched, standardized botanical extract, milk thistle contains potent antioxidants that can protect liver cells from free radical damage, strengthen liver cell membranes, and help maintain the liver’s built-in antioxidant system – glutathione and superoxide dismutase (SOD).* In numerous studies, its active ingredient, silymarin, has been utilized to prevent liver cell damage by carbon tetrachloride, ethanol, acetaminophen, mushroom toxins, and benzopyrene from automobile exhaust.* Silymarin has also been shown to help maintain the body’s normal inflammatory response.*
Siliphos provides the benefits of silymarin (flavonoid complex from milk thistle) and phosphatidylcholine in one compound.* Siliphos is a phytosome, a water-soluble flavonoid (in this case, silybin) made lipid-friendly by the addition of phosphatidylcholine. This allows for better incorporation of this liver-protective flavonoid into liver cell membranes.* Of the three flavonoids comprising silymarin, silybin predominates and is the most potent. Studies indicate the silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex in Siliphos provides superior bioavailability compared to conventional milk thistle products.*
Phosphatidylcholine is not merely a passive “carrier” for the active flavonoid silybin, but is itself an active ingredient with documented efficacy for promoting liver health.* Silybin protects the liver because of its potent antioxidant activity, while phosphatidylcholine helps repair and replace cell membranes.* These constituents likely offer the synergistic benefit of sparing liver cells from destruction.*
Drug Interactions with Silybin
While the clinical significance has not yet been established, Silybin has been shown to inhibit P-gp, a transporter that affects blood levels and central nervous system levels of certain drugs. As a result of this inhibition, it may be possible that Silybin can decrease blood levels but at the same time increase central nervous levels of fentanyl, morphine, methadone and possibly oxycodone. This could result in either increased or decreased therapeutic effect and/or side effects. When taking Silybin while also taking these medications, caution should be emphasized by monitoring for changes in responsiveness to the medications and it may be necessary to reduce the dose of these medications to avoid side effects.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Silybin – Overviews
Silybin – Antioxidant
Silybin – Breast Cancer
- The antioxidant silybin prevents high glucose-induced oxidative stress and podocyte injury in vitro and in vivo
Silybin – Drug Interactions
- Overview of P-glycoprotein inhibitors – a rational outlook – 2012
- Emerging Significance of Flavonoids as P-Glycoprotein Inhibitors in Cancer Chemotherapy – 2009
- Herbal modulation of P-glycoprotein. [Drug Metab Rev. 2004] – PubMed – NCBI
- Pharmacokinetic Interactions between Drugs and Botanical Dietary Supplements. – PubMed – NCBI
Silybin – Inhibits CYP2C9
- Two Flavonolignans from Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) Inhibit CYP2C9-Mediated Warfarin Metabolism at Clinically Achievable Concentrations 2010
Silybin – Liver Disease
- Silybin and the liver – From basic research to clinical practice – 2011
- Silybin combined with phosphatidylcholine and vitamin E in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A randomized controlled trial
- Silybin–Phosphatidylcholine Complex Protects Human Gastric and Liver Cells from Oxidative Stress – 2015
- Hepatoprotective effects of S-adenosylmethionine and silybin on canine hepatocytes in vitro. – PubMed – NCBI
Silybin – Nanoformulations
- Phyto-liposomes as nanoshuttles for water-insoluble silybin–phospholipid complex
- Silybin–Phosphatidylcholine Complex Protects Human Gastric and Liver Cells from Oxidative Stress
- Reassessing Bioavailability of Silymarin – 2011
Emphasis on Education
Accurate Clinic promotes patient education as the foundation of it’s medical care. In Dr. Ehlenberger’s integrative approach to patient care, including conventional and complementary and alternative medical (CAM) treatments, he may encourage or provide advice about the use of supplements. However, the specifics of choice of supplement, dosing and duration of treatment should be individualized through discussion with Dr. Ehlenberger. The following information and reference articles are presented to provide the reader with some of the latest research to facilitate evidence-based, informed decisions regarding the use of conventional as well as CAM treatments.
For medical-legal reasons, access to these links is limited to patients enrolled in an Accurate Clinic medical program.
Should you wish more information regarding any of the subjects listed – or not listed – here, please contact Dr. Ehlenberger. He has literally thousands of published articles to share on hundreds of topics associated with pain management, weight loss, nutrition, addiction recovery and emergency medicine. It would take years for you to read them, as it did him.
For more information, please contact Accurate Clinic.
Supplements recommended by Dr. Ehlenberger may be purchased commercially online or at Accurate Clinic.
Please read about our statement regarding the sale of products recommended by Dr. Ehlenberger.
Accurate Supplement Prices