Yoga & Tai Chi
Yoga and Tai Chi are two eastern disciplines that have gained great popularity in this country due to their effectiveness in improving health of the mind and the body. At Accurate Clinic we believe that incorporating either or both of these disciplines into an individuals lifestyle offers a number of health benefits. Our personal trainer, Richie Santucci RD, CDE, CPT, is adept at teaching both yoga and Tai Chi.
Individual and group classes are available.
The practice of yoga helps empower the individual towards better health and freedom from disease. There are many different disciplines in yoga and it is important that a person engage the one most appropriate for them. Certainly for those with chronic painful conditions, the idea of engaging extreme exercise positions is absurd. However, there are many positions, or asanas, that disciplines of yoga such as Hatha Yoga incorporate into daily practice that are tolerable even for those with chronic pain.
The practice of Yoga may:
– Increase flexibility
– Reduce stress and inflammation
– Reduce neck, back, arthritis and headache pain
– Reduce reliance on medications
– Increase strength of the core and extremities
– Improve balance
– Increase endurance
– Facilitate weight loss
– Improve concentration
Originally developed for self-defense, Tai Chi has evolved into a graceful form of exercise that is now used for stress reduction and many other health conditions. Described as meditation in motion, Tai Chi promotes serenity through gentle, flowing movements.
Tai Chi is low impact and puts minimal stress on muscles and joints, making it generally safe for all ages, even those with chronic pain syndromes. When learned correctly and performed regularly, Tai Chi can be a positive part of an overall approach to improving your health.
The benefits of Tai Chi may include:
– Decreased stress, anxiety and depression
– Improved mood
– Improved aerobic capacity
– Increased energy and stamina
– Improved flexibility, balance and agility
– Improved muscle strength and definition
Research also indicates that Tai Chi may help:
– Enhance quality of sleep
– Enhance the immune system
– Lower blood pressure
– Improve joint pain
– Improve symptoms of congestive heart failure
– Improve overall well-being
– Reduce risk of falls in older adults